What is Hacking?
Hacking is the act of penetrating or gaining unauthorized access to computer systems for the purpose of gaining knowledge about the system and how it works. Hacking is ILLEGAL. Hackers use many methods to break into computers. Some hackers exploit vulnerabilities in the software or hardware already on your computer. Some hackers will install software on your computer, which gives them access to your machine.
What is a Trojan?
Trojan or a Trojan Horse is a program that pretends to be something useful, but will actually do damage to an affected computer. Similar to virus, A Trojan Horse will often install a back door in your system that can be used for hacking. However, unlike a virus, they are usually not designed to replicate or spread themselves.
How to detect hacking
Hacking can be detected using hacking detection software. It reports any attempts of unauthorized access to your computer and provides a personal firewall to help prevent people from hacking into your computer while you are on the Internet.
Different brands of hacking detection software are available in the market.
How to report hacking
If you would like to submit a report of hacking (port scanning, port probing, or use of a hacking program), please send the following information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. All IP addresses involved. All port numbers involved
2. Date and timestamp for the attempt, including time zone.
3. A description of the attempt (this might be a log excerpt).
4. Your BlueLight Internet account name, if applicable.
How are my hacking reports used?
Based on the information provided in your hacking report, we first identify the domain from which the hacking attempts were made. Then,we inform the appropriate domain authorities so that they may take the appropriate action.
What is BlueLight Internet's policy on hacking?
The Terms of Service strictly prohibits hacking and related illegal activities. If a BlueLight Internet member is discovered to be hacking, the member is warned. Upon the second violation, the member's account will be terminated.
How to protect my system from hacking
1. Install antivirus software for protecting your computer from viruses and Trojans.
2. Install hacking detection software for detecting and preventing any attempts of unauthorized access to your computer.
3. Install personal firewall software to help prevent unauthorized access to your computer while you are on the Internet.
4. Download software from TRUSTED sources ONLY.
5. Protect your password. Do NOT share your password with anyone. In addition, make sure your password is difficult to guess and change your password regularly. To learn more about how to choose a good password, click here.
6. Be sure to update your Anti-Virus software with the latest virus definitions regularly, to keep your protection up to date, and to prevent any new viruses from infecting your computer.
Return to Security Index