Problems connecting to an access number
If you are having trouble connecting to an access number, it can be for many different reasons. It may have to do with your computer or modem, or with the BlueLight Internet network of access numbers.
Here are some general steps to try out if you are unable to find a more specific troubleshooting document:
- Make sure that no other communications software is in use. Be especially careful to disable any fax or voice mail programs on your computer. If you are unsure how to do this, please consult the manual that came with your computer or with your communications software.
- If you have an external modem, check that the your modem is on and that it is connected to the phone jack and the computer. Reset the modem, either by turning it off and then on again or by restarting your computer (if it is an internal modem).
- If your modem is external, you may have a faulty modem cable. Cables designed for use with modems support "hardware flow control." If you suspect that your modem cable is faulty or incorrectly wired, try replacing it at your local computer store.
- Make sure your access numbers are set up correctly.
- If you can dial out, but your connection times out repeatedly, you may need to change your access numbers.
Other questions about access numbers: